PROJECT FINANCED WITHIN POR FESR Toscana 2014-2020
The SUNRISE project (Development of technologies for proximity and mobility services within intelligent territories) was born from the collaboration of several local companies resulting from a public call by Regione Toscana, open to companies located in Tuscany, to finance innovative projects.
In recent years, technologies and proximity services have played a growing role in several scenarios. They are becoming an essential component, not only in Smart Cities and in the Internet of Things scenarios, but also in sectors such as transportation, entertainment, healthcare, etc. Nonetheless, their interaction is still not a popular topic. SUNRISE goal is to develop an innovative, open, modular solution, based on the integration and collaboration among the different proximity technologies (and other IT technologies), capable of enabling a complete proximity services‚ ecosystem.
Several technologies and proximity solutions are currently already available (Beacon, BLE, RFID, NFC, ZigBee, WiFi, QR Code, etc). Beginning from these, SUNRISE will develop a set of technologies and services "basic and advanced with high value-add" designed to organize and optimize a full range of experiences based on the common theme of proximity and, generally speaking, localization.
- multi-platform and multi-device indoor/outdoor "core" localization;
- device-independent services for payments, ticketing, and multi-channel booking;
- locally integrated mobility services (traffic news, parking fee payments, city access permits, public transit, etc);
- a "personal service card" and a unique digital ID for vehicles and people, to connect among them the different mobility services and move freely within the territory;
- loyalty services;
- B.I. (Business Intelligence) services to elaborate acquired data (Big Data) and personalization of services.
Along with these components, innovative prototyped solutions will be developed for certain specific sectors of both high economic and social interest ‚Äì such as integrated mobility between cities, healthcare, tourism, cultural heritage, and territorial marketing ‚Äì to showcase the opportunities offered by SUNRISE integration and interoperability.
All SUNRISE components will be developed to be easily and dynamically integrated; the different services could be scaled according to the needs and the individuality of each scenario. This will allow the creation of a dynamic offer of products/services capable of effectively addressing many of the current market needs, in addition to the creation of a solid base to realize services that will be required by a society increasingly dependent on digital solutions.
SUNRISE objectives are to develop an offer of proximity services somewhat more advanced and more easily accessible than what is currently available.
The broad analysis performed during project planning highlighted that currently there is not an all-embracing offer of solutions capable of exploiting the potential of the various technologies of proximity to create a “dynamic and structured service environment“, such an environment would be accessible at a territorial level by a large audience of final users who are typically citizens and tourists. On the offer side it would be available to a large group of technological and commercial firms (including small ones such as merchants), along with local governments and public services.
The goal of SUNRISE is to develop an innovative solution, allowing the design of a flexible system integrating technologies and proximity services, with mobility technological solutions. The system can be adapted to the different application scenarios ‚Äì single store, store chain, territory-wide system of integrated services (mobility, territorial marketing, tourism, cultural heritage, healthcare, etc.).
These characteristics address very interesting scenarios, not just in application terms, but also in regard to business and new product creation. As an example, we can consider the scenario of offering mobility and urban parking services, a principal service of the project. Also very relevant are similar scenarios relating to healthcare services, and touristic/cultural services, such as mobility in healthcare structures and in museum areas.
From the pure execution standpoint, the project is divided into four development objectives for the realization of components, plus one additional objective dedicated to the management and coordination of activities and the sharing of achieved results.
The four development objectives, based on a 24-month coordinated effort, include:
- System planning ‚Äì functional and technical requirements, infostructure design, test cases development for infomobility, healthcare and cultural heritage scenarios;
- Realization of hosting components for functional horizontal services ‚Äì components common to all vertical services currently offered by the SUNRISE platform or future planned integrations (service center components, centralized and distributed, extended CRM with Big Data and Analytics, ticket booking and payment);
- Realization of base components for the proximity technologies ‚Äì Proximity Cell CP, hybrid and localization systems, and outdoor and indoor routing;
- Realization of specific vertical components ‚Äì for infomobility and territorial marketing for healthcare and cultural heritage applications.
After the completion of all of these activities, the project will be executed: by integrating all of the developed components; by field-testing solutions for territorial mobility, healthcare and cultural heritage; and by releasing the integrated prototypes to the SUNRISE platform.
SUNRISE services can be accessed in several ways. Along with mobile devices (smartphones and tablets) it will be possible, for some services and scenarios, to utilize touch and wide screens (conveniently placed in equipped areas) and multimedia totems. Interaction, including requests to access services, will also be an option through workstations.
Within the SUNRISE project, Data Pos will focus on developing the components that allow the SUNRISE platform to offer outdoor and indoor localization systems, aimed at:
- offering identification and geo-localization services both outdoor and indoor a specific area (Operative goal 2: Proximity Technologies: activity 2.2. Development and integration of proximity and localization systems);
- integrating components and services on SUNRISE, particularly within web services RTI scenarios (Routing/Traffic/Intermodality) (Operative goal 4: SUNRISE services and applications: activity 4.1. Integration of components and services on SUNRISE).